With another big election year ahead, one question Americans must decide is, “What kind of government will America have from this date forward?” It’s clear that Democrats and the left do not respect and will not uphold the U.S. Constitution and neither do their ideological colleagues on the Supreme Court and federal courts. However, it seems that most citizens still do. Either we will be a people ruled by our founding documents and the rule of law or we won’t, but the situation we have now where judges and can make or repeal laws at whim is unworkable and intolerable.
Today, we cannot even depend upon elected officials to do the jobs they were sent to state houses and Washington to perform. We have watched as presidents, senators, congressmen and even state governors, attorneys general and city mayors violate the law and their oaths of office with little or no consequence. The threat of anarchy is very real in the United States of 2015.
Most private citizens believe that they should obey laws even when it may be expedient not to, simply because these laws are duly-enacted, not capricious and will be enforced universally. They expect that their elected leaders will be likewise held accountable to the law. But events over the past seven years have shown us that is not the case.
A CNN poll from 2010 states that only 42% of Americans are convinced that Obama is eligible by birth to be president. The remaining 58% are either certain that he’s not a naturalized citizen or are unsure. Obama has violated US immigration law, violated US firearms laws through Operation Fast and Furious, and, by making a dangerous arms deal with Iran, has made the world a more dangerous place for Israel, the U.S. and all free peoples in the Middle East. Obamacare has tripled the cost of healthcare for every citizen except members of Congress and the administration who are, of course, exempt from its burdensome regulations.
Trending: Will Oregon Voters Defund Abortions?
The Supreme Court’s decision that stuck down same-sex marriage bans was the most outrageously unjustifiable and unconstitutional decision since Roe v. Wade. With decisions like this, no one’s Constitutional rights are safe. Will the Second Amendment be the next freedom to be infringed? Perhaps the Supreme Court will decide Americans no longer need the Fourth Amendment’s protection from unlawful search and seizure.
The federal government is broken. Congress has spent or wasted every dollar that has ever been invested in the so-called “Social Security Trust Fund” and every dollar earned by Medicare. In addition, they have saddled you, your children, and your grandchildren with a debt that cannot be repaid. The budget “deal” that is likely to pass this year, will kick the national debt to over $19 trillion! That’s nearly double what it was seven years ago. Congress currently spends $500 billion more than the treasury collects in revenue. Business as usual cannot continue. Currently, every U.S. citizen’s share of the debt is $57,000 (Of course illegal immigrants have none of this burden since they do not pay taxes).
One way to end the corruption in Congress might be to require every outgoing congressman, senator, president, cabinet member, justice and judge to release his or her income tax returns from the years they “served” in office. Perhaps this should begin with House Speaker, John Boehner. Since he hasn’t been representing the people, a look at his tax returns would show the people who he has really been serving.
It’s certainly easy to paint everyone in Washington with the same broad brush, and there are surely many in Washington who have opposed the feeding-frenzy that occurs during each budget cycle. But each of us needs to remember that this is your country and mine it belongs not to the government but to the people. Every dollar spent or wasted in Washington was earned by someone either through direct labor or investment, not through fortunate circumstances.
It’s time to make some decisions. Do you want judges to continue to make and repeal constitutional laws at whim? Do you want elected officials to continue to steal your wealth and waste it on pet projects designed to keep themselves in power or spend it on themselves? Do you hold any rights or freedoms sacred? Do you expect elected officials to be held to the same standards as the public whom they profess to represent? If you do, then you are going to have to get a quick education and work to make these things happen. If not, or if it’s just too difficult, then do not complain when the government comes to take your guns, your money, your freedom, your home and your children.
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.