“Larry, I’m shocked that you say you are actually praying for judgment on our nation! That’s not loving. That’s not scriptural!”
I respectfully disagree. I’m not on a crusade, trying to convince others of my position, yet I do invite your prayerful consideration at this critical time in our history. My actions spring from God’s recent dealings with me and the conviction that we have crossed a line in our ever-escalating sinfulness before a holy God Who has blessed this nation like none other in history.
Some will dismiss biblical passages I cite as applying only to Israel, God’s covenant people, whom He designated as a “city on the hill” yet they turned from God. Let’s remember America was also established as a covenant people, designated as a “city on a hill” by our Pilgrim and Puritan forefathers. We have likewise turned away from God.
Survey the cultural landscape over just the past number of weeks:
* Unfettered baby-killing (now over 57 million) and selling of body parts as Planned Parenthood, a private organization specializing in abortion (they do no mammograms), continues receiving our tax support.
* Homosexual “marriages” now the law of the land, overturning 4,000 years of Western civilization history. Obama aggressively celebrates this, plus former “born-again” President Jimmy Carter declares, “I think Jesus would encourage any love affair if it was honest… I believe Jesus would approve gay marriage.”
* Religious freedoms eroding at warp speed. Dr. Paul Church, Boston urologist, expelled for “discrimination” in voicing his perspective on homosexuality and it’s high risk disease factor. A Portland bar owner fined $400,000 for respectfully requesting LGBTs refrain from patronizing his establishment to avoid impression of being a “gay” bar.
* Increasing hostility and persecution of Christians – recent college massacre of nine Christian students and Saturday Night Live mockery of Kim Davis as a crazed moron, along with Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee portrayed as delusional, dementia patients.
* 177 congressional representatives voting down the law requiring doctors to save babies who survive an abortion – infanticide. Euthanasia/Assisted Suicide being legalized in numerous states letting doctors drug patients to death. Get ready aging babyboomers!
* Cable and now network TV featuring nudity, profanity and homosexuality as standard fare (I just turned on the local news five minutes early to see two, unclothed lesbians “going at it” in bed then parting in the a.m. with a sensual kiss!).
* Drug and sex-saturated concerts/festivals like “Burning Man” week of debauchery and Madonna’s profane “Rebel Heart” tour with the theme “Desecration of the Bride and Arrival of Fallen Angels.” Described as “an orgy above the Last Supper” by The Hollywood Reporter, young people and fans hear her blasphemous songs like “Devil Pray, “Unapologetic Bitch” and “Messiah.”
Let’s stop here and do a reality check. The trajectory is clear about where this nation is headed. We need a sense of urgency. Our children’s and grandchildren’s lives are at stake, in addition to the unborn babies facing the guillotine. We need to shake ourselves and challenge our pastors that this is not a time for maintaining the status quo in religion by lifting up a few mini-prayers and enjoying some uplifting, happy “3 Ways to Beat the Blues” sermons! Are you listening?
America is on a precipice and our only hope is in the Gospel proclaimed to transform hearts and fervent prayer that I believe now includes a component of appealing for God’s justice and His judgment. I know this message won’t go over well with both unbelievers and many Christians, but the time has come. When respected leaders cited God’s judgment after 9/11, remember the outcry and outrage that followed? Get ready.
America’s last Great Awakening (1790-1850) was launched when a narcissistic, proud attorney was body slammed with the reality of God’s judgment. Charles Finney experienced divine intervention when God audibly questioned him about that for which he was living. When Charles faced the issue of death and responded tremblingly, “The judgment is next!” he ran like the “Roadrunner” half a mile to the woods to get right with God. A dose of the fear of God and the prospect of God’s judgment shook him to the core.
Charles entered the ministry and millions were saved when brought face to face with God’s judgment and His mercy. For over 50 years during the ebb and flow of America’s Second Great Awakening, Mr. Finney and his “Revival Lectures” helped turn America back to God.
Clarifying the Call for God’s Judgment
For the record, I am not calling for God to send fire and destroy human beings. I’m not petitioning the Almighty to send asteroids, tsunamis or city-destroying earthquakes. My fists are not clenched or my veins bulging as I seethe with ardent feelings of vengeance towards wayward humanity. I just don’t see any other way for our nation to turn back to God without some drastic and dramatic divine intervention.
We need a jolt to awaken us from our stupor. We need a loving “slap in the face” to jolt us back to reality and out of our present insanity and sexual anarchy – kinda’ like a parent reaching the saturation point with a rebellious smart-mouthed teenager constantly talking back disrespectfully and mocking parental authority.
I’m aware of the episode in the Gospels were Jesus admonished His disciples about calling down fire to destroy resistant people. “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them” (Lk. 9:55-56). This is not what I’m describing.
I believe what the Bible says, “Mercy triumphs over judgment” (Jam. 2:13). Yet these two are not mutually exclusive as God extends His mercy and when it is consistently rejected, Scripture reveals He eventually sends judgment so that people will repent, cry out for mercy and return to Him!
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.