Sen. Ted Cruz released a list chronicling 76 lawless actions taken by President Obama in is effort to circumvent Congress and the will of the American people. “The Legal Limit Report No. 4: The Obama Administration’s Abuse of Power” details very specific examples of the president’s blatant disregard for the law. The Daily Caller was the first to report on these numerous, documented instances of flagrant executive overreach.
The report includes this brief statement: “Rather than honor [his] duty, President Obama has openly defied it be repeatedly suspending, delaying and waiving portions of the laws that he is charged to enforce. When President Obama disagreed with federal immigration laws, he instructed the Justice Department to cease enforcing the laws. He did the same thing with federal welfare law, drug laws and the federal Defense of Marriage Act.”
Sen. Cruz discussed his report at the Federalist Society in the Promenade Ballroom of the Mayflower Hotel on Wednesday.
The administration hasn’t yet issued a response to the report. They’re probably too busy adding to the list — so many laws to break, so little time. After all, they don’t call him King Barack the Lawless for nothing.
As Senator Cruz rightly indicated in his report, “The President’s taste for unilateral action to circumvent Congress should concern every citizen, regardless of party or ideology.” Undoubtedly, this report should be of grave concern to all who care about our representative form of government, safeguarded by the separation of powers that were established through a system of “checks and balances” set forth in the U.S. Constitution.
Here’s a small portion of the long and growing list of Obama abuses of power detailed by Senator Cruz:
1. Disregarded 1996 welfare reform law in granting broad work waivers for work requirements of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
2. Implemented portions of the DREAM Act, which Congress rejected, by executive action.
3. Ended some terror asylum restrictions, by allowing asylum for people who provided only “insignificant” or “limited” material support of terrorists.
4. Allowed immigrants in the U.S. illegally, who are relatives of military troops and veterans, to stay in the country and get legal status.
5. Extended federal marriage benefits by recognizing, under federal law, same-sex marriages created in a state that allows same-sex marriage even if the couple is living in a state that doesn’t recognize same-sex marriage.
6. Recognized same-sex marriage in Utah, even though the Supreme Court stayed the court order recognizing same-sex marriage in Utah and Utah said it would not recognize same-sex marriages performed before the stay.
7. Refused to prosecute violation of drug laws with certain mandatory minimums.
8. Issued signing statements, refusing to enforce parts of congressional-enacted statutes.
9. Illegally refused to act on Yucca Mountain’s application to become a nuclear waste repository.
10. Falsely portrayed the Benghazi terrorist attack as a spontaneous protest against an anti-Muslim YouTube video, and then lied about the White House’s involvement.
11. Illegally revealed the existence of sealed indictments in the Benghazi investigation.
12. Failed to enforce the Magnitsky Act as required by law, by not adding Russian human rights abusers to a list of people not permitted to travel to or do business in the U.S.
13. Killed four Americans overseas in counter-terrorism operations without judicial process.
14. Continued to give Egypt aid after the military took over its government, even though federal law prohibits aid to Egypt in the event of a coup.
15. Granted a “hardship” exemption from the individual mandate for people whose health plans were canceled because their plans weren’t Obamacare compliant.
16. Delayed the individual mandate for two years.
17. Allowed individuals to buy health insurance plans in 2014 that did not comply with Obamacare.
18. Extended this delay until 2016 — past the mid-term elections.
19. Extended the deadline to enroll in Obamacare.
20. Illegally granted businesses a waiver from Obamacare’s employer mandate. Twice.
Read the full Report here: Legal Limit Report No. 4
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.