As Donald Trump has selected his vice presidential candidate, Governor Mike Pence of Indiana, patriotic, conservative, values-oriented Americans are asking, “Is he the right man?”
As a Christian leader with forty-four years of ministry experience and aa a cultural commentator analyzing individuals and issues from a biblical worldview, my humble opinion is a resounding “Yes!”
Before somebody raises a flaw they’ve noticed in his career, let’s examine this in a humble and biblical way. This is not intended to be an in-depth, comprehensive overview of the potential Vice-President, but rather a brief, objective survey of his life and career.
Biblical Criteria for a Civil Magistrate
In the Bible, God gave criteria for a civil magistrate in Deuteronomy 1:4–18 and Exodus 18:21. It was important that individuals were wise, respected, fair, capable, trustworthy, honest, and God-fearing. Notice the importance of character before charisma?
To make things easy to remember, I’ve often used the acrostic: C.H.E.A.P. In other words, don’t skimp when it comes to the following:
* Character: good, bad or suspect?
* History: Where did they come from? What’s the background?
* Experience: What has it been, and for how long?
* Accomplishments: What have they achieved, and what’s the fruit?
* Platform: What issues do they support and oppose?
What’s critical is to keep something in mind. When you back a candidate, it should not be because he or she is charismatic, or “cool” or represents a “first” or a particular label. We must learn to ask difficult and revealing questions and be discerning.
10 Fast Facts on Gov. Pence
1. Mike is 57 years old and has been married for 31 years to the same wife, Karen, and has three children. While divorce has become increasingly accepted among political candidates today, it is to his credit that Mike and Karen have honored their marriage vows for over three decades.
2. Mike was raised Roman Catholic but had a spiritual conversion in 1978 when he accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior at a Christian event in Kentucky. He identifies today as an evangelical Christian.
3. Governor Pence’s track record on the sanctity of human life is sterling. He has sponsored legislation to protect the unborn and his stood courageously at the forefront in calling for the defunding of Planned Parenthood.
4. Examining his track record, individuals find him consistently upholding traditional marriage between one man and one woman.
5. To ensure military cohesiveness, he has maintained the historic position of heterosexuals serving in the United States Armed Forces.
6. He is a law school graduate with diverse experience in the marketplace including that of a talk show host where he honed his communication skills for five years.
7. He served as a United States Congressman since 2000 and was reelected overwhelmingly four times. His leadership was recognized by his colleagues as he was selected to the third highest Republican leadership position of Chairman of the House Republican Conference in 2009.
8. Mike Pence was elected Indiana’s Governor in 2012 and has been recognized as an economic conservative. He cosponsored a spending limit amendment to the United States Constitution out of his conviction for a responsible, balanced budget.
9. He is respected for his longtime, compassionate approach to immigration upholding existing laws and a secure border. His “no amnesty immigration reform” plan of 2006 demonstrates his consistency in this controversial realm.
10. Mike Pence has also stood strong against the premature closing of Guantanamo Bay; as governor he reversed the Common Core curriculum; is known as a strong supporter of Israel and the reform Tea Party movement; plus, was number one choice for President in a straw poll at the September 2010 Values Voter Summit.
Here’s the deal: Governor Mike Pence of Indiana who formerly endorsed Ted Cruz for President, appears to many as a healthy balance to Donald Trump in this 2016 presidential campaign. Examining biblical qualifications for a civil magistrate alongside the Governor’s personal life and political career, each citizen can determine if he passes the conservative “smell test” for vice president of our beloved United States of America.
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.