‘No One Should Be Put Through That — No One’: Justina Pelletier Speaks About Government ‘Kidnapping’

By Liz Klimas

Returning to her parents home after spending 16 months out of their custody, Justina Pelletier is now speaking out about her treatment while in the care of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and at Boston Children’s Hospital.

“This should never happen again to anybody,” the 16-year-old from Connecticut said in an interview with Mike Huckabee on Fox News. “They should never be put through what I’m put through. They were so mean and nasty to me and they were being mean and terrible to my family also and no one should be put through that — no one.”

Justina was taken out of her parents custody on Feb. 14, 2013, after they took her to Boston Children’s Hospital when she was suffering complications with the flu. At this hospital, physicians disagreed that Justina had mitochondrial disease, a diagnosis given to her by a doctor at Tuft’s Medical Center, and said she had somatoform disorder instead, one that would put the root of her physical symptoms as psychological.

Trending: Wake Up Christians – Silence Is Not An Option

“When we went to the emergency room there, everything went,” Justina said, trailing off and shaking her head as she recalled the beginning of her treatment at Boston Children’s.

After the Pelletiers disagreed with a medical plan proposed by doctors at Boston Children’s, which took Justina off her treatments for mitochondrial disease, they said DCF stepped in, taking custody of Justina and accusing them of medical child abuse after being alerted to concerns from hospital staff. Over the next year, Justina’s parents were in and out of court, trying to have custody and care returned to them.

During this time, Justina said didn’t know too much about what was going on.

“They didn’t really tell me anything. They told me that DCF took custody of me and that my family can’t talk to me. … They were saying that they were over-medicalizing, which they were not,” Justina told Huckabee.

At another point in the interview, Justina said that “no one was on my side” at the hospital.

“Everyone thought I was faking all this medical stuff,” she said. “They stopped all my medicine. They didn’t care. They were saying I was improving, which I was not.”

While in state custody, Justina only saw her family once a week for a supervised hour and spoke with them once a week on the phone.

“It was really hard because we couldn’t talk about any of the things we wanted to talk about,” the teen told Huckabee.

On June 18, 2014, Justina finally went home.

Read more: TheBlaze.com

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.