They hated him for not supporting more voodoo gun control after the Parkland shootings. They despised him for leaving global warning pacts. They loathed him for not denouncing white nationalism as the greatest threat to civilization in the history of civilization. But none of it compares to their fury, wrath and burning indignation over Trump’s immigration policies, specifically his advocacy for a border wall.
And nowhere is the media more blatantly biased. If Nancy Pelosi did the NBC Nightly News, Chuck Schumer was the national editor of The Washington Post and Elizabeth Warren ran Associated Press, it couldn’t get any worse.
• Trump “doesn’t recognize that the wall is unpopular with the public and disdained by experts on both sides of the immigration debate” – Time Magazine. Which experts? Oh, you know, unnamed “experts” on both sides of the debate – a cliché which ranks right up there with “reliable sources.”
• Pelosi’s “legendary …legislative savvy” (has she not told us she’s a “master legislator”?) can’t beat “the president’s unusual tolerance for conflict, uncertainty and the suffering of others.” – Time. In other words, she’s Edmund Burke; he’s Vlad the Impaler.
• Trump lost the border wall fight with the 2018 election, when “the combustible president confronted for the first time the enormity of the challenge he will face over the next two years: divided government.” – The Washington Post. In the 2010 election, Barack Obama lost the House, and confronted the enormous challenge of a divided government for the remaining six years of his presidency.
• Why did two children die when their parents schlepped them across the desert so they could enter the country illegally? You guessed it. When Trump and DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen “decided that they were going to start closing ports of entry – when they were trying to tear gas families trying to go through legal channels… the President forced individuals to go and make more dangerous areas to cross the border.” – MSNBC. Instead of using tear gas (like Obama), the administration should have let rock-throwing rioters bash out the brains of Border Patrol agents.
• Trump “demonized people trying to come to our country on the caravan.” – CNN. Mexico’s Ambassador to the United States, Geronimo Gutierrez, also demonized people in the caravan when he confirmed the presence of a large criminal element. DHS disclosed that at least 270 had criminal backgrounds. Every two years, ICE makes 266,000 arrests of illegal aliens with criminal records, including those charged with, or convicted of, 100,000 assaults, 30,000 sex crimes and 4,000 murders. But the caravans are composed of disciples of Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teresa.
• Wolf Blitzer doesn’t research stories; he regurgitates Democratic talking points. In late December, Blitzer informed his guest, White House senior policy adviser Stephen Miller, “Democrats have insisted they too support border security, but deny the linkage of a border wall to border security.” Miller asked, what specific programs (other than a wall) the Democrats supported to make the border more secure? Wolf quickly changed the subject.
That’s the how of media bias in the border battle. Here’s why the lamebrained media has made a border wall its Little Bighorn, its Waterloo, and its Fuhrerbunker:
1. It’s racist. To keep non-whites from entering the country illegally is, they insist, racist. If undocumented Norwegians were streaming across our southern border, it would be different. Then the media would care – especially if the Scandinavians announced their intention to register Republican.
2. Trump wants it. Like Chuck and Nancy, the media are determined not to give POTUS a victory. It was the centerpiece of his 2016 campaign. They’re hoping and praying that if he loses on the border wall, his base will desert him and it’ll be a Republican rout In 2020.
3. They fervently believe that illegal immigration will make us stronger. Diversity is the altar on which they’ll gladly sacrifice national identity for this spurious advantage. They want “new Americans” who don’t speak English (and probably will never speak it well), know nothing of our history, don’t identify with this country and will reflectively vote Democratic. That’s how we make America stronger.
4. They believe open borders are atonement for America’s sins of the past. Slavery, segregation, exploitation and the so-called genocide of American Indians – all crimes against people of color. What then, could be fairer than letting people of color flood into the U.S. unimpeded – not asking who they are or what they’ll do once they’re here? What about the people of color who fought and died for America? What about those who suffer from the crimes of MS-13 and those who lose jobs to cheap immigrant labor? They too will be forced to atone for sins they never committed.
5. They’re afraid it will work. Border Patrol supervisors in the Rio Grande section believe it will work. Mark Morgan, Obama’s last Border Patrol Chief, thinks it will work. Israel’s border fence, which stops the infiltration of Palestinian terrorists, proves it will work. If they really thought it wouldn’t work, they’d let the president have his wall so he’d be embarrassed by a phenomenal failure.
6. They hate America. At least subliminally, they want America to fail. Look at they way they manipulate and distort the news to prove we’re a detriment to the welfare of humanity. They believe that overconsumption, aggression, intolerance and environmental degradation flow from America, not totalitarian China or the wonderful world of Islam. They’d love to see America gradually disappear, as it merges with some multinational entity. Since there aren’t enough Americans willing to commit national suicide, allowing the involuntary importation of an ever-larger alien bloc is seen as the best way to achieve that goal.
7. They live in an echo chamber. While citing opinion polls ritualistically, other than celebrities, there are fewer groups more divorced from reality. The media talk to each other, borrow ideas from each other, mimic each other. It’s not that The New York Times, The Washington Post and National Public Radio are popular with the masses, but the rest of the media follow their lead unthinkingly.
8. They see themselves as heroic fighters for truth, justice and the globalist way. Time Magazine celebrated itself and its colleagues by naming journalists (“The Guardians”) persons of the year for 2018. It’s the anointed-them against the unconverted-us. In other words, it’s virtue-flashing and self-worship.
I keep trying to think of clever stratagems to get the media behind a border wall. Tell them it’s really a jobs program that has nothing to do with national security? Build it in the shape of the Great Mosque of Mecca to show that it will strike a blow against Islamophobia. Call it the Multicultural/Diversity/ Friendship Wall?
As seen here at GrasstopsUSA. Posted here with permission of author.
Don Feder is a former Boston Herald writer who is now a political/communications consultant. He also maintains a Facebook page.
8230 Catbird Circle 302
Lorton VA 22079
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.