The left is obsessed over imposing gun control on the civilian population, as if firearms were the leading cause of deaths. But official U.S. statistics indicate that left-wingers are wrong. The leading cause of death in the United States is by far abortion, which is fully protected by leftists with various absurd laws. While the defense weapons’ function is to protect lives against armed criminals, the function of legal abortion is to kill innocent lives.
Legal abortion, protected by left-wingers, provokes over 600,000 murders a year. Firearms in the hands of criminals provoke about 12,000 murders a year, and they are not among the leading causes of deaths. But if American citizens were disarmed, as the left wants, the number of murders would increase dramatically, as Brazil’s poor example shows, where gun control policies historically dominate, and the predicted outcome is over 60,000 murders a year.
I am sure that if gun control is approved in America, armed violence will become one of the leading causes of death in the United States, because criminals will have a monopoly on gun, just as in Catholic Brazil.
Leading causes of death in the United States (unless otherwise noted, all the data are for 2015), based on the official data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a U.S. federal agency that is the leading national public health institute of the United States.
* Legal induced abortions: 652,639 (2014) deaths. This is about 2,000 deaths every day.
* Heart disease: 633,842
* Cancer: 595,930
* Cigarette smoking: 480,000 deaths per year, including over 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.
* Medical errors: 250,000 deaths per year (Johns Hopkins Medicine).
* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
* Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
* Alcohol: 88,000
* Diabetes: 79,535
* Hospital Associated Infection: 75,000 deaths (2014).
* Drug overdose: 63,600 (2016).
* Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
* Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
* Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193
* Firearm homicides: 12,979
Portuguese version of this article: Principais causas de morte nos Estados Unidos, e homicídios por armas de fogo não são uma delas
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.