EDITOR’S DISCLAIMER – Even though this did not post prior to the State of the Union, it is still relevant to the address that President Trump delivered last night.
I care about a broad range of issues – the right to life, taxes and the economy, terrorism, trade, the Second Amendment and the National Debt among them. But when there’s a fire in your house, you don’t worry about anything else until it’s been extinguished.
The fire is uncontrolled illegal immigration. If left unchecked, our national home will soon be a pile of smoldering ashes.
There are two words I want to hear from Donald Trump this evening – national emergency.
- Because the leadership of the Democratic Party has said repeatedly that they will not negotiate on a border wall under any conditions. In this case – if words are to have any meaning — no means no. Bodies of Americans killed by illegals can pile up in front of the Capitol, and Pelosi and Company still won’t give the President anything for a border wall. This is a hill on which the party of open-borders is entrenched.
- Because there are another four caravans headed for our way. One could be carrying as many as 15,000.
- Because, far from impeding passage, Mexico is providing buses to transport Central Americans to the U.S. border.
- Because 20% of the U.S. population now speaks a language other than English at home.
- Because more than 200 cities and 6 states now have their own immigration policy.
- Because there’s a stampede among Democratic politicians to abolish ICE. So far, most candidates for the party’s 2020 nomination have signed on.
- Because there are at least 12.5 million (and possibly as many as 20 million) illegals in our country. Their cost to the three levels of government is an estimated $134.9 billion a year – compared to a one-time cost of around $20 billion to build the wall, of which the president is asking for $5 billion as a down payment.
- Because, yesterday, a member of the MS-13 gang was arrested for a cold-blooded murder on the Queens subway. (Ironically, this was in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s district.) The accused is in the country illegally. He was arrested in November and charged with conspiracy, attempted murder and various drug and weapons charges – and released on bail.
- Because there are more than 350,000 criminal aliens in our federal, state and local prisons. According to a new study, illegal aliens are arrested at five times the rate of legal residents.
- Because I don’t care what the mainstream media, Wall Street Journal, Democratic politicians or Republicans wimps have to say.
The president has the power to take this out of the hands of an obstructionist Congress.
If the raging conflagration that’s spreading to every part of the country doesn’t constitute a national emergency, I can not imagine what on earth does.
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.