Every time there is a mass or school shooting, socialist Democrats and the socialist run mainstream media resort to their usual rhetorical chant for more gun control and less gun ownership.
They want everyone to believe that the only cure for the increased gun violence in America is to end gun ownership and strip Americans of their Second Amendment rights.
Yet, over the years, I’ve reported on a number of instances where someone with a legal concealed carry weapon used that weapon to stop or prevent a mass shooting, thus saving who knows how many lives.
A recently released FBI study backs up the claims that I and others have been making, in that concealed carry Americans have a very high success rate in stopping or preventing mass shootings.
The National Sentinel – Study: Concealed carry firearms owners have a 94% success rate stopping potential mass shooters – Facts: A new study of FBI data found just the opposite. A report by Jacob Paulsen at ConcealedCarry.com found that in 94 percent of cases, armed citizens successfully intervene during what the bureau calls “active shooter events,” which is defined by the FBI as, “One or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.”
Paulsen notes that the FBI has published three reports that detail active shooter events between 2000 and 2017. The first covers event between 2000-2013; the second from 2014-2015; and the third from 2016-2017.
“They manually search for and include [these events] in their reports the same way anyone else might Google it which of course means there is room for error particularly in missing events that should have been included,” Paulsen writes. He notes further that the FBI does not include domestic shooting incidents or gang-related shootings in its reports…
I’ve spoken with gun control fanatics and have more than one tell me that guns cause the violence. Several have told me that guns do not prevent violence, especially mass shootings from happening. Even if you quote the statistics from the Crime Prevention Research Center, they still say that proves nothing. Some have challenged me to name just one time when an armed law-abiding citizen actually stopped a mass shooting save lives. To this, I point them to the following list I quickly put together about a year and half ago. Note at the bottom of the list is the Zona Caliente Sports Bar shooting mentioned above:
- On Oct. 1, 1997, Luke Woodham went to his high school after killing his mom and began shooting. Assistant Principal Joel Myrick grabbed his .45 caliber handgun from his truck, confronted Woodham and stopped his murder spree before police arrived.
- On April 24, 1998, Parker Middle School was holding a dance at a local banquet hall when a 14-year-old student opened fire with .25 caliber handgun. James Strand, owner of the hall used his shotgun that he kept there to stop the shooting and hold the student until police arrived.
- On Jan. 16, 2002, a former student started shooting at Appalachian School of Law, killing the dean, a professor and another student before being stopped by two law students who were also in law enforcement. They retrieved their weapons from their cars, apprehended the shooter and held him until police arrived.
- On Dec 9, 2007, a man opened fire with a Bushmaster AR-15 on parishioners at New Life Church in Colorado Springs. Earlier that day, the same man killed two and wounded two at the Young With a Mission training center in Arvada. Jeanne Assam, a former Minneapolis Police Officer had a concealed carry license and her gun was with her during the service at New Life Church. She pulled her weapon and shot the shooter, wounding him. He eventually shot himself, but her actions were credited with saving many lives before police arrived.
- On May 27, 2010, Donald J. Moore used his personal firearm to stop a mass shooting at an AT&T store in New York Mills, NY. The shooter had a list of employees he was going to kill, but only managed to wound one employee before Moore shot and killed him, all before the police arrived.
- On Aug. 30, 2010, Sullivan Central High School Resource Officer Carolyn Gudger drew her gun on a 62-year-old man with gun. Using her body to shield a student, she held the shooter in a standoff for 10 minutes until police arrived.
- On March 25, 2012, Jessie Gates was observed getting a shotgun from his truck and heading to the door of Boiling Springs’ South Side Freewill Baptist Church in South Carolina. Aaron Guyton, grandson of the pastor, saw him and locked the door, but Gates kicked it in. Guyton then drew his conceal carry weapon and held Gates at gunpoint while two parishioners subdued him and the pastor disarmed him, all before police arrived.
- On Dec. 11, 2012, Nick Meli used his concealed carry weapon to stop a shooter at the Clackamas Town Center Mall near Portland, Oregon. The shooter killed two and wounded one before Meli confronted him. The shooter stopped shooting, withdrew to a service elevator and then shot himself, before police arrived.
- On April 30, 2014, a construction foreman in Austin, Texas used his legally licensed conceal carry weapon to stop a former employee who showed up and started shooting. The foreman wounded the shooter and saved lives after being wounded himself, before police arrived.
- On May 16, 2014, an armed gunman entered the emergency room at Cache Valley Hospital in Logan, Utah. He demanded to see a doctor and then cocked one of his two handguns and said someone was going to die. A hospital security guard did his best to calm and distract the gunman. Two correction officers happened to be present and were able to confront the gunman from a different direction. The gunman was shot three times and no one else at the hospital was injured. All before police arrived.
- On July 25, 2014, a patient entered the psychiatric clinic at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, PA. He shot his case worker before pistol whipping his doctor Lee Silverman. As the man left to go shoot more people, Dr. Silverman pulled out his conceal carry handgun and shot the man three times. He was hailed by local police for saving other lives before police had a chance to arrive.
- May 3, 2017, a deranged man entered the Zona Caliente Sports Bar in Arlington, Texas and shot the manager. He was armed with 2 handguns and 2 knives. A customer with a legal concealed carry permit, use his weapon to stop the ‘active shooter’ before anyone else was injured.
Yes, legally armed law-abiding citizens stop mass shootings and save lives. This is something that liberals don’t want anyone to know about, so please pass this list around and share it with as many people as you can. The public needs to know the truth.
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Barb Wire.