7 Ways to Cultivate Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit
Too many of God’s people are led by fear, doubt, man-pleasing, presumption, assumption, idols in their heart, false prophets and fleeces. Romans 8:14 says, “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God.”
Every believer has to make a decision in this hour: Who’s in charge? The Holy Spirit will lead you and guide you into all truth (John 16:13). He’ll also lead you through danger, difficult decisions, conflict resolutions and every matter of life great or small.
The key here is perceiving rightly, trusting wholeheartedly and obeying fully. If you are going to allow the Holy Spirit to lead you prophetically, you need to develop an ever-increasing sensitivity to His Spirit. Here are seven ways I’ve discovered in my pursuit of His heart.
1. Pray in the Spirit. You may have read about my recent journey through Europe. My passport was stolen. My luggage was lost. About a month before I went to Europe, the Holy Spirit told me to pray in tongues more. I’m glad I did, because I’m sure it activated Jude 20—I built myself up in my most holy faith and walked through those trying times.
Remember, 1 Corinthians 14:2 says, “For he who speaks in an unknown tongue does not speak to men, but to God. For no one understands him, although in the spirit, he speaks mysteries.”
I am convinced I prayed out this journey before it happened. I am convinced the Holy Spirit prayed through me, combatting difficulties I could not have foreseen. Perhaps if I had prayed more, I would have avoided some of the drama. But at least I had a cool spirit through these difficult situations.
2. Ask God for that sensitivity to His heart. I pray this type of prayer every single day. I need, want and must have a greater and greater sensitivity to His heart. Many times, we have not because we ask not (James 4:3). If you’re on my Mornings With the Holy Spirit prayer calls, you’ll hear me pray this and other consecrating prayers frequently. This must be a constant pursuit as the spirit of the world works to distract us from His heart.
3. Spend time with Him. Any relationship demands a time investment. I arise early in the morning to seek His face—indeed, I rise at 4 a.m. Intimacy with God is a matter of priority. What do you value most in life? You may not even have to give anything up. You may just need to reorder your day, learn some time management skills, shut off your smartphone for periods of time, and determine to press in. You are responsible for your time and every change starts with a quality decision.
4. Practice the presence of God. Cultivate an awareness of His presence. Talk to Him throughout the day. Ask Him for guidance, grace and whatever else you need. Thank Him, praise Him, glorify Him in your heart. Think of Him before you take a step, before you open your mouth, and let Him shape your thoughts.
5. Pursue holiness. He is the Holy Spirit. If you want to attract the Holy Spirit into your life, you need to consecrate yourself more and more. Cut out the activities that don’t please Him or edify you. Don’t purposely do things that grieve Him. Be quick to repent.
6. Know Him as Helper, Intercessor, Advocate and Standby. Get to know the many attributes and operations of the Holy Spirit so you can put your faith on Him to be Who you need when you need Him. Check out my article: 5 Ways the Holy Spirit Can Help You Right Now.
7. Set your heart to do His will. Some people are scared of God’s will. I used to be worried about what I would have to give up, what people would think of me, what I would lose and more. True freedom came when I surrendered my will to His will. If you set your heart to do His will in daily life, you’ll be quick to obey when it matters most. Remember, slow obedience is just a form of disobedience.
Say this prayer if you want to walk more closely with the Spirit:
Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask you to give me a heart that is sensitive to Your heart. Help me develop an awareness of Christ in me, the hope of glory. Teach me to turn to You throughout the day and help me avoid the distractions and little foxes that spoil me vine. Let me hear your voice more and more clearly as I pursue Your heart with all of mine.
Top 6 on BarbWire.com