The 5 Most Thrilling Takeaways From Tuesday’s Election Night
Kneeling bedside at 2:00 am after election results were in, I tearfully thanked God and gave Him the glory for what just happened. The final text I received said it poignantly: “It feels like the thawing in Narnia when springtime returned.”
Indulge me for a moment to describe it in dramatic yet honest terms. I, like multitudes, was euphoric and found sleep extremely challenging! May this unprecedented event remain aglow on the photographic plate of our minds to encourage us for years to come.
We literally witnessed a modern day political miracle. This was, without question, an astonishing once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. I still have to pinch myself that I’m not dreaming!
“Whoa, Larry! Aren’t you getting a bit carried away?”
Not at all! And in case you retired early or decided to avoid the evening’s developments for whatever the reason, allow me to highlight five aspects of November 8, 2016 which will forever remain in the annals of political history as absolutely phenomenal.
Five Surreal Aspects of Election Night 2016
1. This election was an “underdog miracle” unexpected by the overwhelming majority, yet secretly anticipated by a faithful minority.
As a cultural commentator, my life is very invested in what’s happening today. My passion is helping people in “having an understanding of times and what Israel (God’s people) should do” (1 Chron. 12:32). I devote myself to this satisfying task ten-fifteen hours hours weekly without compensation because I love it and it’s my assignment from almighty God.
In all my 44 years of ministry, I’ve never experienced such a defy-all -odds “David and Goliath” moment like I did on Tuesday night! The amazing “coincidence” was it came right on the heels of the unbelievable Chicago Cubs 108 year World Series breakthrough and the recent “I can’t believe it really happened!” Brexit withdrawal from the European Union.
Against all odds, for the first time in our history, an outsider with NO political experience and NO military credentials was elected President of the United States of America! It blindsided countless millions of skeptics and opponents and truly is a stunning, historic achievement of epic proportions.
2. This election victory represents one man’s perseverance in the face of unbelievable, formidable opposition.
Many months ago, Donald Trump opened a window to his soul by sharing why he was pursuing the presidency. In a closed gathering of a thousand senior leaders in New York City, he related to us how disturbed he was for years at the decline of our great nation. Finally, the epiphany came as his wife urged him to not sit idle, but count the cost and pay whatever price to “make America great again.” He asked for our help.
Whether responding to the grace of God for the first time, or reaffirming His trust in Jesus Christ alone, Donald acknowledged his Christian faith. He also formed a spiritual advisory team with outstanding leaders like Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Dobson, Dr. Jeffress, James Robison, Tony Perkins and others.
It was extremely significant in light of what he was about to encounter:
* The full fury of Bill and Hillary Clinton and their ambitious political network.
* The well-oiled and well-financed Democratic Party with its billion-dollar bankroll for a blitzkrieg of campaign ads. The search and destroy mission was to tear his reputation to shreds, even attempting to identify him with the infamous KKK.
* A sitting president and his extremely popular wife, radically committed to preserving his legacy and destroying Trump’s candidacy.
* Hollywood celebrities and influential rock stars like Beyoncé, Barbra Streisand, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and JayZ plus heavyweight politicians drawing crowds and campaigning for Hillary.
* A perfectly choreographed, star-studded convention with the likes of Meryl Streep, Brad Cooper, Lena Dunham, Eva Longoria and Sarah Silverman. This was followed by 3 debates with political “experts” pronouncing Hillary winning each decisively.
* Almost weekly mockery on Saturday Night Live skits that lampooned him while gently teasing Hillary.
* Pundits, disgruntled Republican politicians and an almost unanimously united, dishonest media committed to defeating him.
* Effusive Clinton endorsements filling newspapers, publications and websites across America. The very day of the election, USA TODAY editorialized, “Get out and vote, but not for Trump.”
* George Soros, Planned Parenthood, Silicon Valley and Wall Street multimillionaires filling coffers to underwrite Hillary’s campaign.
* LGBTQ and pro-abortion zealots volunteering at record levels for campaign work and rallies.
* The Republican establishment distancing themselves from pro- actively supporting Trump’s bid for the White House.
* An almost daily assault on his character to destroy his credibility and reputation, portraying him as a racist, narcissistic, perverted bigot.
Journalist PJ Rourke once said, “In our national history we have shot four of our presidents, worried five of them to death, impeached one and hounded one out of office. And when all else fails, we hold an election and assassinate their character.”
President-elect Donald Trump faced adversity that would’ve destroyed most men, but he persevered and miraculously emerged victorious by the grace of God. What an example for the ages!
3. We witnessed the supernatural convergence of God’s sovereign intervention with the prayers, fasting, and engagement of His people.
Granted, there were pastors in America that submitted to the fear of man and remained silent on the sidelines in this time of civilizational crisis. Yet multitudes finally came “out of the closet” to intentionally equip their people on the issues and how America’s entire future was at stake.
Serving with Intercessors for America national prayer ministry, we distributed record numbers of voter guides and resources for pastors and people. “The Bullseye Challenge” developed informed influencers on the 30 hot button issues of today through the free, on-line videos and book. Last week we gathered with over a thousand people to pray for the election with Ricky Skaggs and Michael W. Smith and other leaders here in Nashville, something that took place in communities all across America.
God’s people responded incredibly to be “salt” and “light” by not only interceding but also registering and voting! They engaged people with confidence on the issues like abortion, erosion of religious freedoms, homosexuality, immigration, transgenderism, and Supreme Court appointments.
Across America, God’s people awakened to reject errors of misguided predestination and super spirituality absolving us from our sacred duties by claiming, “God is sovereign…He puts in office whom He wants… Don’t worry, He fulfills His purposes whatever…”
Thank God people rejected fatalism and passivity and took seriously James 2:17, “So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.”
Behold the miracle that took place with the Sovereignty of God balanced with the responsibility of man! To God be the glory!
4. In response to desperate prayer, God gave us a flawed “Cyrus” candidate who captured the imagination of Americans everywhere who simply had enough with political correctness, incompetent leadership and failed policies destroying our nation.
The day following Trump’s unbelievable and improbable victory, Hillary gave an emotional, farewell speech. She ended with a scripture to “not grow weary” and her intent to help “all little girls pursue their dream.” I mused, “Unborn little girls?”
Thank God Tuesday’s election secures 300-plus pro-life judicial appointments and up to four Supreme Court Justices upholding the sanctity of human life and the potential reversal of Roe v. Wade.
President Obama later spoke in an upbeat conciliatory way that he was encouraged by what he heard from Trump and said, “We are all rooting for his success in uniting the country.” It’s kinda’ like we’re all on the same team so let’s go forward together.
Listening to both of them, I’m not sure they get it. What happened in this election is not merely the end of a campaign; a “changing of the guard.” It is the manifestation of a movement that repudiated status quo politics and said loud and clear, “People are suffering and angry and want things to change dramatically. Enough is enough!”
The significance of Tuesday night was a repudiation of the Obama/Hillary agenda, along with the Democratic platform. Scores sent a message: we are not going to accept 54 million unemployed as the new normal; 53 million on food stamps; accumulation of more and more debt; wealth redistribution; the medical rip off of ObamaCare; more and more entitlements and big government; giving $150 billion to Iran, the number one state sponsor of terrorism, in a disastrous nuclear deal; dangerous open borders; and, refusing to identify and protect ourselves from Muslim terrorism while saying our biggest problem is climate change!
Hillary Rodham Clinton did not lose the election because she is a woman and there weren’t enough people to “break through a glass ceiling.” She lost because she and Obama’s agenda have been tried in the balance and found wanting! Thank God for His having mercy on our nation.
Finally, thank God for this final, incredible positive from Tuesday’s results.
5. For the first time since 1928, the Republican Party will hold the majority in the Senate, in the House of Representatives and the Presidency of these United States!
Our trust is not primarily in any particular party. Yet with a more principled, conservative make-up of our government, I believe God is giving us another chance to reclaim our founder’s original vision for America as a “city on a hill” to reach all peoples with the gospel and the bountiful blessings He’s bestowed on us.
That includes folks like those Hillary supporters who stood in shock watching the returns on Tuesday night. Most were silent, some were sobbing, all seemed so very sad, in disbelief and near despair at what was unfolding before their very eyes. They need Jesus and the “hope and change” that only He can provide.
Here’s the deal: as we pray for president-elect Trump and our leaders in this transitional season, remember to lift up all the discouraged and near despondent followers of Hillary Clinton. Presently they don’t understand or have a clue regarding the miracle of Election Night 2016, that special evening that resembles the thawing in Narnia when springtime returns!
Larry Tomczak is a cultural commentator of 43 yrs, Liberty Counsel public policy advisor, Intercessors for America board member and best-selling author. His new, innovative video/book, BULLSEYE, develops informed influencers in 30 days (see www.bullseyechallenge.com). Click (here) for his “Here’s the Deal” weekly podcast.
Top 6 on BarbWire.com